Monday, April 5, 2021

Another Source for 3D Printing Slot Car Body Files...

While I am greatly intrigued by 3D printing, I have yet to dip a toe into the technology yet; not so much because of cost (though good printers have become rather affordable now) but due to the fact that I have so  many other projects to do first --like build a new track--that I don't feel like committing to the expense right now. I have visions of the printer and software just sitting in my workshop and on my PC while I get up to speed learning how to use it, and I figure I can do this later.

Still, I've picked up enough knowledge to understand the possibilities, especially by watching various episodes of the Worldwide Slot Car Chat, where it's common to see awesome 3D creations on display. There are of course a number of sources for model files for cars, figures and track accessories; I just wanted to highlight one I recently came across - available on www.cults3d.com and offered by a seller HORA80.

A Maserati Merak - offered by HORA80

Understand that these are not the printed bodies themselves, but the 3D files you will need to print your own. You'll still need to run them through a slicing program and set them up for whatever 3D printer you (or a friend) own, and actually output your own body. That said, the range of files and cars available here is pretty stunning: Sports Cars, Racing Cars, Off Road SUVs, Classic American and European Cars, Commercial Vehicles--just about anything you might want. The site says that all model files are prepared to be printed at different scales and the file has several versions with different wall thicknesses to facilitate printing.

Something you don't see every day...a 1972 Ring. Bros. AMC Javelin

While I cannot personally vouch for the quality of the model files (it looks like over 1000 may be available) I can only point out that there have been almost 4,000 downloads and sales of over $30k. With almost 1000 followers, it would seem to follow that HORA80 has probably established a pretty solid reputation as a source for good 3D print files.  At $9.80 USD a file, it seems pretty reasonable way to get a car that's may not be available any other way except for printing your own. 

If you do decide to give them a try, be sure to let me know how things worked out!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Search SLOT, Links & the web

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP