Saturday, May 22, 2021

Speed Thrills: My First NSR and RevoSlot Cars

Times like these I really regret not having a track available to drop my new cars on for some test laps. The two beauties I'm highlighting here just arrived courtesy of UPS (and LEB Hobbies) and I am really happy to have them.

Before I go too much further, let me point out I am a notorious cheapskate when it comes to buying cars. This means that:  a) I have to limit my collecting to a definitive category of cars that I really like, and b) that I try to extend my collection as inexpensively as possible--which means buying cars that are on sale or very gently used. As I gradually fill out my list of "must-haves" it becomes harder to do this, as some types are simply just more expensive or (like these two brands) too new or seldom offered in used condition.


I have a Ford 3L P68 in my 60's-era Le Mans car stable, but it is a classic Scalextric model and simply not in the same class as my modern cars. It is in extremely nice shape, and I've considered putting the body on a newer chassis. Maybe someday.  This Lucky Strike livery is really attractive and will look great hanging out with the Ford GTs, Ferraris, Mark IVs and other classics in my pit lane. The detail on this NSR model is absolutely wonderful and I'm sure the performance will match. You might be surprised that, having been in the hobby for 20 years or more, this in my first NSR, but as I said, I'm cheap and I don't do any club or commercial track racing.


I already had a 333P, too--a yellow SCX model that is still like new and one that I always considered good-looking. When I started in the hobby, I liked the late-90's to 2000s LMPs, and my first Ferrari--although not red, as I usually prefer--was a nice visual break from my other cars, which included a white Joest Porsche and 2 white BMWs. Something about this RevoSlot's plain red livery (with just a few decals) appealed to me...and in terms of quality, it is a real stunner.

Since I am pretty much caught up in terms of modern GT cars (especially those offered by Scalextric and Carrera) it seems the focus will have to shift to quality over quantity/price and that means shelling out some more money for fewer cars. I often choke on spending over $75.00 for a car, but I have some holes in my collection and it's looking like some of the LeMans Miniatures models (which normally run well over $100 USD) may be the only way to fill them--aside from buying a 3D printer and trying to build my own.  Something to plan for, to be sure.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Search SLOT, Links & the web

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP